Saturday, May 26, 2012

I am going veggie!

No, not vegetarian...  I will still be eating meat (although I am trying to cut down, but Cow is just so tasty!), but now I am growing vegetables for the first time!!


My love and fascination for growing plants started with potted herbs like basil and oregano, which blossomed into flowers and shrubs when I bought property, but I have never ventured into farming... I live in a mature neigbourhood with many large trees, so my property doesn't have a lot of sun so I cant just till up a bunch of rows... I have to be more creative!


 I have started a square foot raised bed garden, 4ft x 4ft
I do not have anymore sunny locations other than on my brick patio stones... so I made a 16" deep raised bed out of 2x8's (4 of them) and used KREG pocket hole joinery to slap it together...


now all I need is some growing medium, and to kick out the dogs and we are in business! 




I will also be growing scarlet runner beans (Phaseolus coccineus) on an inverted maypole. I am using my birder feeder pole that gets used in the winter with a slight modification.


More to come!







No comments:

Post a Comment