Saturday, June 23, 2012

Lady Bells or what?...

I was starting to rethink the identification of this plant... I was told by some old people that it was a foxglove digitalis... so I have tried to pull it out over the years so the dogs or wandering babies don't eat it and die...


This year I decided not to care about dogs and babies and let it grow in... after seeing its true form, I didn't think it was in fact a digitalis species... 

I was going to call upon more minds to help identify it but I just decided to search the shape of the flower, a bell, and found this: http://ontariowildflowers.com/main/species.php?id=241

It a creeping bell flower and its an Ontario native wildflower! Woooooooo!

But then I realized nature is twisted! It could also be the almost identical, and aptly named Adenophora confusa or lady bells... Damn...

So without thinking I got drastic and I spent a couple hours pulling the lady bells out of the garden... digging up the rhizomes and network of tubers is very labour intensive... and I know I didn't get it all because I had to be carefull digging so close to all the other plants, especially the sugar maple sapling... if I wanted it gone it would be next to impossible as its quite pervasive, spreading mostly through theses rhizomes...


No comments:

Post a Comment